Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Pelicans, cormorants, geese and more

Another spectacular morning — it's 53 right now, and I think it might have been in the upper 40s when I went out — and I got a slightly earlier start, so the sun was a bit of a challenge through the golf course.

I didn't take the camera today, so you'll have to take my word for the nature of the morning. I went east on the trail past Giant Springs State Park, then looped around the old smelter stack and came back next to the river, below the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center. No deer today (that's where I saw the newborn fawn a few weeks ago), but I did come right up on, as today's title suggests, a pelican. I'm afraid I startled him from dozing about five feet from shore ... I think that's the closest I've been to one since almost getting hit in the head by a low-flying flock on an island in the Missouri Breaks about 30 years ago.

The GS goose flock was back in force; must be a hundred of the buggers hanging out down there. I startled them, too. Saw two bicyclists, a few rabbits and one calico cat.

Tonight is the premier of the local student production of Les Miserables, in which two of my special friend's daughters have roles. Break a leg, ladies.

Meanwhile, I commend your attention to my nephew Günter's blog, The Unbearable Peanut, for some nice writing, a look at a recent Andrew Bird (go man!) concert, and, recently, a link to a participatory art site that is highly entertaining. It is
postsecret

5-1/2; 15-1/2; 28-1/2; 444-1/2
Posted by Mose, 6:12 AM

2 Comments:

Mose,
Love the site! As another post said, the pics makes one want to move to Montana. Evocative of some old Zappa:
"I might be movin' to Montana soon
Just to raise me up a crop of
Dental Floss

Raisin' it up
Waxen it down
In a little white box
That I can sell uptown

By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,
But I'd be raisin' my lonely
Dental Floss..."
Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:04 PM  
Nice. And thanks ... pretty boring, I'm afraid.
Blogger Mose, at 6:47 AM  

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]