Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanks Be, with pictures











Helena is colder than Great Falls, but it's a beautiful morning nonetheless. Temp at running time was 24 degrees. It was light enough to navigate the trails, but dark enough that I was able to see sunrise, almost perfectly timed (by accident) from the peak of Mount Helena.

On the way up, I passed one fellow with a dog on what they call the "Prairie Trial," which is a not-so-steep route around the north and west sides of the mountain. Otherwise, no one until the top. While I was there, another fellow with two dogs arrived, but he was walking so must have come a different route.

I took a bad turn on the west side, and wound up on something called the Backside Trail, which took me all the way around to the Hogback, which is a rocky ridge that runs up to the peak from the south. So, I basically circumnavigated the mountain before ascending to the top.

The haze was medium, I suppose, not quite a full-blown inversion but enough that the side-light from sunrise made the valley look like a lake.

I gawked on top for about three minute, then headed down the Prospect Silos route. I met a couple of couples farther down, and there were bunches of people on the east side trails, many with dogs, by the time I got back to the official trailhead.

What a nice Thanksgiving. Just being up there was great; being able to run up there was unbelievable. It was not my fastest to the peak, partly because of the circuitous route, but partly because I'm carrying the equivalent of a Thanksgiving turey in excess weight around my middle. I'm working on it, but still have 15-20 pounds to go. Today's meals won't help, but that's OK.

I didn't bring my picture upload slot, so can't do that right now, but later today one of my hosts' kids says he has one I can use. Stay tuned, and Happy Thanksgiving!

8-1/2; 14; 102-1/2; 761-1/2
Posted by Mose, 8:56 AM

1 Comments:

Gorgeous pix! :) I especially like the one of your shadow, hehehe.
Blogger atomicweightofcheese, at 8:28 AM  

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]