Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Woa! Snow!


After working Saturday, working a little and cooking another turkey dinner (and eating it) Sunday, and being dazzled by the largest single "snow event" in Great Falls history (18 inches!) on Monday, I ventured out this morning and slipped and slid my way around six miles in near-zero temps.


The pictures are from my front porch (including a fuzzy one of the "Griswolds" nearby) and from my sidewalk of my house. Mostly I wanted to show the snow. Today, because it was 6 degrees and foggy, the trees and fences are thick with hoar frost, and the ice is fairly treacherous.

I did the Base Gate-to-Portage Meadows route, except that the paved paths through the meadows haven't been shoveled since before the last round of snow, so I had to stay on the road (7th Ave N?) all the way to 42nd before heading back, extending the route by half a mile or so.


It wasn't too bad, but a couple of areas were very slippery. Then I actually fell near a guy scraping his car, but it was because I wasn't watching my footing, not because of the ice. And it was more of a "stumble with use of hands" than an actual "fall."

For these conditions, I wear a heavier hat, wrap my head in a loose-knit scarf (that I can breathe through easily), and don't wear glasses (they'll steam over). Even so, I wind up taking off the hat and one layer of gloves (the mittens) during the run.

Char gave me some ice-gripper things for my shoes last Christmas, and if conditions stay the same, I may try them out tomorrow.

Call it

6; 6; 113-1/2; 772-1/2
Posted by Mose, 6:06 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]