Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Mountains, snow, flowers and PICTURES!

I said I was going to go long in the mountains Sunday, and by golly I did it. I did my "usual" Continental Divide run from Rogers Pass to the north, a run I have been doing once or twice a year for a number of years. I'm thrilled to report that today's effort, just after sunrise, was the best and easiest of all those trips ... so much so that I even took a few side trips.

The flowers were in full form, and the Forget-Me-Nots smelled so good it was intoxicating. I've been hiking and running this track for more than 10 years now, ever since we got a small cottage in the town of Lincoln, home of, among other things, Unabomber Ted Kaczynksi.

I've done this route in the spring, summer, fall and even once in the winter. But spring is best because of the wildflowers.

Today, I started about 6:15 a.m. (took 20 minutes to get to the trailhead from Lincoln, about 15-20 miles away). It was mostly clear, and chilly — about 35-40 degrees at the start. Plus, on the passes and exposed areas (about half), the wind was blowing upward of 40 mph. I was well equipped, however, so it was pleasant in the extreme.

I've seen elk, all manner of bird (including several kinds of eagles and hawks), one grizzly bear and numerous smaller critters up here, but if anything was disappointing today, it was that none of the above was visible, except a lone falcon of some unknown (to me) kind. But the flowers and views made up for it. Along with the fact that I felt so damn good physically. I only turned my ankles twice, on very uneven ground and while I was violating my first rule (as enunciated to Nora in years of hiking: "Stop to Gawk". I caught myself both times, so the turns weren't bad or particularly painful. Needless to say, I am exceedingly cautious, footingwise, on these types of runs, which take me as far as 8 or 9 miles from my car and any hope of assistance.

I ate two Gu packets and half of a salted nutroll. The latter (I decided today) is a mistake, because the sugar in it puts me into a deficit when going long. It happened once before near the end, and it hit me today about a mile from the car. I snarfed the rest of it and was fine, but I won't do that again. Gatorade has the same effect, by the way.

Anyway, I won't go on further, but enjoy the pics! I have lots more, but this gives you a sense of how wonderful it was. Oh, and by the end (almost 3 hours later), it was about 60 degrees out.

17; 47; 68; 550-1/2
Posted by Mose, 5:33 PM

2 Comments:

Very nice photos, bro.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:24 PM  
good stuff, uncle gooey
Blogger Günter, at 1:35 PM  

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]