Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

You gotta be kidding me!


A bizarrely wet, heavy snow storm blasted Great Falls early this morning, smashing trees and powerlines all over town, most especially in our part of town (the boulevard district). We were fortunate for two reasons: 1. We didn't lose anything too big, and amazingly my tomatoes and peppers looked like they might be OK despite the 4-8 inches of the wettest, heaviest snow I've ever shoveled. Our only real loss was my annual herbs (mostly basil and cilantro — easily replaceable) and this poor maple tree outside our back livingroom window. It'll be nothing more than a stick in the ground when the broken branches are removed. 2. I was up early enough to go for a run that I was able to go out with a long broom and knock the snow off of our other young, leafy trees, including the spectacular red maple outside the bedroom window. I got to them before they broke.


The "shrubbery" below this tree in the neighbors to the east of us actually consists of all the branches that broke off under the weight of the snow.


The neighbor to the west lost big branches off of a huge tree. One struck the house, then dangled.

As you can see, my run today was interrupted by a slush storm. Power was out in our part of town (middle south side), and trees were falling with crashes all over. Running at that hour (5:30 a.m.) actually seemed risky, so many branches were crashing around us.

I did attempt it with my YakTrax (who thought I'd be wearing them again this season?), and managed about a one-mile circuit of the neighborhood. The slush was so wet and heavy, the temp was chilly enough (low 30s) and the wind hard enough (gusts over 30 mph) and the snow falling hard enough that it was too miserable even for me.

1; 8; 8; 36; 761-1/2
Posted by Mose, 10:35 AM

1 Comments:

It was such a long winter that if I snow again I think I would lose my mind. I hope it is long gone by now! Geesh! Crazy mother nature!

Amy
www.runnerslounge.com
blog.runnerslounge.com
Blogger Amy@RunnersLounge, at 8:59 PM  

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]