Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Saturday, December 20, 2008

What a man!

I was getting logy midday after working in the morning, so I bundled up and headed into the frosty wilds: a seven-miler down to the river and on the trail, through the golf course and home.

Here's the wild part: It was between 5 and 10 below zero with a windchill of about 35 below. I wore regular footwear (probably could have bulked up a bit there), two pair of tights (1 spandex, 1 dri fit), my usual shirts (1 long, 1 short), a fleece pullover, gloves, stocking cap and, importantly, a cold-weather ski mask thing. Going with the wind, I actually got hot; going against it, I was fine except my feet got cold (wearing meshy Voomero or, zoomero, or whatever Nikes -- love 'em but warm they ain't).

The only bad part was heading back against the wind across the golf course (started on the tracks, but had to move to "higher" ground). The wind wasn't so bad, but the drifts were ... snow was calf deep, so those light shoes weren't good. If I do something like that again, maybe I'll wear gaitors.

Anyway, I felt very good. It was good to get out instead of circumnavigating the basketball floor at the gym, or, worse, fooling on machines.

Griz lost last night, and Carroll lost today, so it wasn't a good weekend for Montana college football (though I guess coming in second nationally on both counts isn't too bad).

It's gotten cooler since my run ... cleared off. Last night, with a light overcast, got down to 18 below. Today it got up to 4 or 5 below, but dropped fast in the midafternoon to 18 below a little bit ago. I'm predicting 30 below tonight unless a chinook kicks in.

I may try to get a picture of the falls tomorrow to put up here. They're spectacular, what with the huge amounts of ice and all.

6.5; 18; 69.5; 1397
Posted by Mose, 6:10 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]