Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Aaah, there he is!


The sun shone brightly on today's running adventure on Stemple Pass Road south of Lincoln. In the background and right of the tall man is the "mighty" Blackfoot River, which this time of year is reduced to an icy trickle ... in fact Spring Creek by my house is much bigger than the river right now.

Welcome to "Running on ...", which you will soon see I tend to do. It's nothing more than a running log with pictures. I mentioned it on my Facebook page today, so it's at least possible that some people will be viewing it for the first time. If you're among them, and if you've nothing else to do, I encourage you to scroll back, including in the archives at left, to get a taste of what will (I hope) soon be appearing here again.

If you do scroll back, you'll see that I made a handful of "return" attempts in the past couple of years, but they were curtailed by injuries, trips and (even I can't believe this one) a personal battle with cigarette smoking. I think I've won that battle, but one never knows, eh?

At present, I'm not running far, adding a minute or so a day to my route with the intention of being able to return to my beloved Continental Divide country by the time the snow comes off. I've run for 40 years, almost all in beautiful Montana. Throughout that time, I kept a written running log. Knowing this, one of my daughters in 2004 set me up with this blog so she and a few others could keep track of my activities. I try to keep it interesting, but when all I'm doing is running along the same road for two miles in snow, there's not much I can do to jazz it up. Today's highlight was two yearling deer trapped in a fenced hay-bale enclosure. They finally busted out, but I fear one of them may have been slightly injured in the effort, unfortunately brought on by the proximity of a panting, 200-pound man.

The best recommendation I can make about this site is that it sometimes features pretty pictures. Also, I should explain that each entry ends with four numbers. They stand for distances: today's; this week's; this month's, and this year's. The numbers help feed my OCD beast.

As for me, in the next couple of months I will become a Medicare beneficiary, which I mention only to lower my running friends' expectations of my performance -- I'm getting old! Since my last attempt at hitting the trails, I moved to my Lincoln house and made a significant addition thereto, mostly installing the kitchen of my dreams. I figure if I'm going to live here, I'm going to make it the way I want it. At some future date -- and assuming that more than two people will eventually look at this thing -- I'll conduct a "virtual tour" of some of the place's features.

I occupy myself here with keeping warm (heating mostly with wood), cooking, reading and writing. On that last point, I have three texts in the works, but am focusing on one in particular at the moment. For now let's just say it's a fairy tale. It is as different as it can be from the writing I did in 40+ years of Montana journalism (although some Tribune readers might disagree with that characterization). No ETA at present.

So there you have it. See you tomorrow.

1.7; 3.1; 8.6; 8.6

P.S. I haven't been here for a while, so I can't vouch for the other blog links at left. In the coming days/weeks I will either update or eliminate them.



Posted by Mose, 11:24 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]