Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Continued exploration


Went to the Herrin Lake area again this morning and poked around some more in the vicinity of the mouth of Poorman Creek. There was a spectacular orange and purple sky as I drove to the spot, but it already had faded by the time I got onto the hilltops. I guess I'll have to start about 20 minutes earlier (almost in the dark) in order to catch these breath-taking skies. Here the first rays of sun hit the hills west of Dalton Mountain Road.

An area along the way that I thought was just a snow cache turns out to be a pond and marsh, and today there were sandhill cranes in it. I was even closer, judging by the sound, than yesterday, but again I couldn't see them (heavy woods around the pond).

Birds are out in force and great variety. Today I saw juncos, robins, magpies, Canada geese, snow geese, crows, redwing blackbirds, meadowlarks and probably a few others. The whitetails seem to be running in larger groups now, too. About 20 of them were in the field just south of the Poorman mouth, and about 20 more were in a field just east of Stemple Pass Road near the sheriff's office.

Nice morning, low 30s and no wind, which was welcome after yesterday's gale-force winds. No trees down, thankfully.

4.5; 31.2; 117.8; 196.8
Posted by Mose, 7:49 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]