Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Exploring by the river


I'll post a few moderately redundant pictures below; this is the only new thing from today's run: I wandered upstream once I got to the Blackfoot River and this is the mouth of Poorman Creek, which meanders down from near Stemple Pass to this spot. It seems small, considering the area it drains. I wonder if much is drawn off for irrigation, etc., above. Or possibly there are other channels. I know my Spring Creek, Keep Cool and Sucker all are braided out on the flatlands before they hit the Blackfoot.

Anyway, that's where I went today, back to the Blackfoot from Herrin Lake Road. I explored a few side trails today, including one that led more gently through some of the steep draws.

Saw plenty of sign of elk, and heard sandhill cranes (maybe just one ... hard to say), but saw no critters other than small birds. The meadowlarks are out in force, by the way.

There had been a dusting of snow overnight, but the morning was crisp and beautiful — right at 32 degrees. I think I'll make pancakes for breakfast.

5; 15.5; 102.1; 181.1


Here's today's sunrise, as always over Baldy Mountain.


This is coming up to the highest point on this run. If I remember next time I'll get an altimeter reading. I'm pretty sure it's less than 200 feet above the river, which would certainly be the low point. I'll check.


This was the view north across the Lincoln Valley this morning. I liked the coloring in some of the clouds. This was maybe 15 minutes before sunrise. The higher mountains north of the valley looked as if they'd gotten a decent amount of new snow, which is good.
Posted by Mose, 8:12 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]