Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

New route


Today I again drove a mile or so up Sucker Creek Road and took a westward trail (I've been going east from the main road). I was rewarded with yet another complex of trails into new country. This scenic pothole marsh was about a mile from my turnaround spot. Near there was a well-traveled alternative route that, from the bottom, appeared to head into a canyon in the Stonewall foothills. I will check that out tomorrow, I think.

I came across one small (20 or so) grouping of elk while driving on the main road. They moved off to the east, and among the group was a large, well-antlered buck.


I didn't even try to photograph them, but then I came into a second, slightly larger group about half a mile into my run. They're in this picture. I didn't notice any big bucks, but I did see a few smaller critters that I'd guess are yearlings. They were grazing peacefully as I approached, then unhurriedly moved off down the hill when I got to them. Nice.


I took a trail about halfway around this meadow to a posted gate beyond which lay a few items of haying equipment. I'm not sure to which farmstead it belongs; I passed only one, and it was near the beginning of the run. Most of the land I was on appears to be managed by the Nature Conservancy. It's open for camping, firewood gathering (with permits), etc., but I didn't see much water besides the potholes and a few small springs.


This old loading chute was near the gate where I turned around today. It was a beautiful day, sunny and temps in the 40s. I was overdressed. I'll pay more attention to that going forward.

5; 5; 51; 253.3
Posted by Mose, 9:41 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]