Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Up and away


Today I returned to the mountains south of Herrin Lake Road (the Blackfoot lies north of the road and I run there a lot), last visited the day after my birthday. From a fair way up the road, I turned for a nice view to the north of Red Mountain (not visible from Lincoln because the Stonewall complex blocks the view from the valley). Instead of taking the left turn a mile or so up and getting onto the ridge that overlooks the little valley where the Unabomber's shack used to sit, I stayed on the main track that goes around the ridge and into the deep woods south and west of the ridge.

This is in fact a vast forested area that stretches as much as 30 or more miles to the south before any paved roads, probably 20 or more to the east to the Continental Divide, and maybe 50 or more to the west. There are some dirt roads and quite a few logging roads, but otherwise it's practically a de facto wilderness. There are creeks, but few lakes other than potholes. The road I ran on today goes many miles south and west, with really nothing back there but woods and probably some cattle grazing. No houses, but there are a few abandoned mines. I look forward to exploring some of it in the coming months/years.


This is what the road ahead (south) looked like near where I turned around (I was already out three miles or so and didn't want to overdo it yet). The highest point I reached today was about 5,500, and I started around 4,700 so the vertical was plentiful.


This is a view to the west toward Dalton Mountain, which as it happens is the first Lincoln-area mountain daughter Nora climbed, 20 years ago (she was 7). She climbed Tiger Butte south of Great Falls with me a few times at earlier ages.

Anyway, it was cold today — 23 when I started — but clear as a bell.

6; 17; 63; 265.3
Posted by Mose, 8:44 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]