Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

More new ground


I've probably posted 15 pictures of Stonewall Mountain in the past couple of months (not because it's anything special but because it dominates the skyline in the vicinity of my runs), but none from this vantage point: the high ridges of Moon Drive west of the mountain. It was foggy in Lincoln when I left, and you can see the fog bank rising up the mountain as the sun cooks it.

I parked at about 5,100 feet and ran on up some closed roads that gave beautiful perspectives of the Lincoln Valley from the west. Below are two pictures that show the view from part of the road at about 5,400 — logged and replanted maybe 10 years ago below the road, and not logged (at least not in the past 60 years) above.


Above is the view below the road I was on, with relatively new growth for a fair distance down the mountain. The photo below was a 180-degree turn from the same spot, of the view above the road, old(er) growth trees not logged anytime recently.


My high point today was, by design, 2.5 miles from the car and 400 feet higher. I could see lots of old logging trails higher on the ridge to the west, which I think is flanks of Black Mountain and the east rim of the large and deep Arrastra Creek drainage. The west rim is the Huckleberry Pass road. No idea why it's called that!

Today's poop was vaguely human looking but dark. Not cervids, but not sure what it was. No fur or bones in it, and it's too early for berries. Could be bear, I suppose. I remind, as usual, that all pictures in this log can be zoomed up via computer simply by clicking on them, then clicking again.

The day was nice, fitting into the recent standard of low 40s when I set out but sunny enough to warm while I'm out. Today it was 59 when I got back to Lincoln.

I saw no one else up there today, and I also saw many opportunities for more runs up there. It's only three miles off the highway, and the road is only about that far from Lincoln. As it happens, I think just about every road with a closed gate on it (usually for big game protection, according to the signs) is a candidate for exploration.

On my way back toward the car, I spotted this deer stand, which I had missed on the way up.

And at the 5,500-foot spot where I turned around today, my attention was grabbed by the calling of a nearby raptor.

It took me a couple of minutes to spot it, and it's little more than a spot in the picture below, but it was cool. Too light for a bald eagle, and not variegated as much as most of the osprey I've seen (and this spot is a long way from a body of water — there are osprey aplenty down on the Blackfoot).

It reminds me of the one I saw from a similar distance a couple of months ago along the Stemple Pass Road south of Lincoln.


Anyway, here's your speck, at the top of the pyramidal tree.

5; 12.5; 114; 427
Posted by Mose, 9:54 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]