Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Monday, June 08, 2015

Back to state land


This found spur was a highlight of today's nice but routine run from Herrin Lakes Road down to the Blackfoot. I wanted to see whether the river was fishable, and it was a nice circuit with only a couple hundred feet of vertical in it.


As it turned out, the river was a little high with a little color in it. Not prime time for my purposes, which is fine because I have much work to do around the house in the next couple of weeks.

Another highlight was an osprey calling and hovering about 20-30 feet above my head as I trotted along. Beautiful views of it, though I knew better than to try to photograph it (it'd be a speck in the blue sky).

It was a gorgeous day, nice breeze and temperature in the mid-70s by the time I finished.

One stretch just past where I photographed the river was carpeted with wild chamomile, which is wonderfully aromatic at this stage. If you crush one of the little buds, the smell that you get is of pineapple!

It's a nice ground cover on compacted soil, so I might go in search of it with a shovel sometime.

I skipped yesterday in order to work around the house, including finishing my new planter box, which in truth is a sizable raised-bed garden spot, on wheels.


Here it is, just before I planted it with a variety of greens, including kale, chard, spinach, arugula and lettuce. Even though it's pretty high, I expect I'll need to deer-proof it in some way.

5; 5; 37.5; 485
Posted by Mose, 10:37 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]