Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Saturday, June 06, 2015

Two posts: back to the mine


I'm going to do this a little differently today. First will be what would be my "regular" post with a couple of illustrative pictures. Then below will be another post of just pictures and captions, because I took a lot of them today. This picture is of a couple of the buildings at this old mine on the high ridge between Hogum and Seven-Up-Pete creeks.

I ran to the ridge two weeks ago, but my exploration was cut short by approaching snow squalls (and I was underdressed). No idea if the place had a name. I'll poke around next time I go to the little historical museum at the Beef Jerky plant.

This was a long run, but I'll be conservative in estimating its length. The weather was superb, sunny in the 60s and calm. I wore shorts and a short-sleeve T-shirt after just 10 minutes or so with a longer shirt on, too.


My one or two readers probably are tiring of my obsession lately with lupine, but this patch was notable because some critter, more than likely a deer, made a nice bed last night, right in the middle of it. A sweet-smelling repose if ever there was one.

I'll have to remember another aspect of this route. Almost all of my mountain runs set up the same way: Uphill from the car to some turn-around point, then downhill back the way I came. Occasionally I'll find a loop, but the elevation pattern usually holds. This route actually starts around 6,750 feet and goes mostly downhill from there onto the ridge where the mine site sits. It's not a cakewalk — there are quite a few downs and ups along the way, and the mine camp's high points are only 100 or 200 lower than the starting point, while the low points are down around 6,200. What's weird is that I didn't notice this route's somewhat reversed pattern when I ran it two weeks ago, possibly because I was paying more attention to the weather than to where I was going.

Saw not another soul along the way, but I did get a very good view of a red-tailed hawk that I spooked as I came out of the trees into the area of the mining camp. I'm sometimes not sure of what raptor I'm looking at because the views often are fleeting, but this time there could be no doubt, and I got a great look — partly from above its flight path.

Probably go short tomorrow, if I go at all.

9; 32.5; 32.5; 480

Posted by Mose, 12:05 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]