Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Smoke, kayak and smoke


It was, I think, a clear day today, but the smoke made it foul and obnoxious. I went to Flesher Pass for three reasons: Get above the smoke (fail); go to Helena afterward to look at the used kayak I was interested in; and run a few "city" errands. This is the obscured sun from the trailhead at the pass.

I ran short, to the south from the pass, mostly because it seemed (though didn't feel) unhealthy to run in it. I went past the spot where my visitors and I hiked last week, and went out to view that spot on the way back. Here it is:


You can see it was horribly smoky and dark, despite it being a "clear" day.

Anyway, I felt no smoke-related issues, but, as I said, It just seemed wrong to run in it.


When in Helena last week with my visitors, I found out about the Base Camp's plan to sell its rental kayaks, and one of them was exactly what I've been looking for. Nice discount, so I thought I'd try to nail down the sale if the thing looked OK (it was still scheduled to be rented in a week or so, so I didn't think I could take possession). I must have come across the owner or manager, though, and he was happy to dispose of it today, so here it is. Got a paddle, too, so cousin Cliff and I can have kayak sea battles when he comes to visit next week.


Out past the overlook in the previous picture, I came to a new tree down on the trail — fallen since we hiked there just a few days ago! Shows what the beetle-kill does in the forest. A month or so ago when I was in the same area, I was startled to hear (but not see) another tree fall down.

Finally, when I got home early in the afternoon, here was the view from my outdoor kitchen. It's another "invisible Stonewall Mountain picture: No mountains visible from mountainous Lincoln because of smoke. Sigh.


4; 27; 83; 769
Posted by Mose, 5:02 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]