Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Monday, February 29, 2016

Patterns on Leap Day


Today I tried out the Contour Road up Baldy Mountain, and it was great. The snowbank on the north face (where it's always been) was slightly treacherous because it's sloped and ice-encrusted ... if I want to go further I'll have to carry my YakTrax up to that point and put them on (I don't want to run 2 miles on a bare, rocky track with the Trax on).

This is the root ball of a large, well-rotted and bug-eaten log that had rolled down onto the road a mile and a half or so up from where I parked. Here are two more shots of the same log:



I was pleasantly surprised at how easily I was able to motor up onto the aforementioned snowbank. This is good, because the slope of this track is such that it's a substantial aerobic workout for the first 4 miles or so — the training work-up is excellent.

Once again it was right around freezing, so the puddles were sheeted with thin ice again. Here are two:



This one is reminiscent of a topographical map of a mountainous area ... same puddle as the top picture. Now that I look at it, that middle ring, combined with the rocks, looks like an exotic bird.

It was a gray day and windy, so I had to wear my fleece "turtle" hat around my neck instead of on my head.


This is the little drainage Nora and I call Disappearing Creek, because if you climb up the mountain, the tiny creek flows in some places and goes underground in others. We found a deer antler up there about 20 years ago, and it's a little hat rack now at my house.

4; 4; 22.5; 43

Posted by Mose, 9:28 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]