Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Elk still 'away'


I love when this happens: hoar frost on blades of grass sticking up through ice. This is on a small pond near Saturday's turnaround spot on the western edge of the state land south of the Blackfoot.

Here's another, closer look:


I saw one of the elk herds on my way to my "running grounds;" they were more or less where they moved off to when I spooked them yesterday. They were visible from the Stemple Pass Road not far from Lincoln if you knew where to look.


This is just a picturesque tree on the hillside above the pond pictured above.

Once again, it was really cold early (9 degrees) so I again waited until a little later to run. It was 22 when I started; unfortunately it was about 40 when I finished, so the previously frozen mud was simply mud on the return trip.

Still a good day. Saw kingfishers, ducks and geese along the way, and heard a hawk. Based on last year's runs in this area, it's probably a red-tail.

5; 15; 60; 104
Posted by Mose, 12:46 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]