Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

First run in Italy


After a weekend of decompressing (jet lag and yesterday's disappointing election here in Italy... more on that in a moment), I took to the Val d'Pesa trail today, which runs along the Pesa River (Carlo calls it a river; I'd call it a nice-size creek) from the local vvillage of Cerbaia, which will be something like my home for the next few months.

As you'll see in the pictures, it's a spectacular day. Even the earth (fresh-turned in some fields) smells different here, and the aroma of herbs permeates all. I did an out-and-back, and was greeted on the way back by an older (my age?) gentleman in a uniform. He spoke no English, but managed to convey to me to keep on my toes because there are hunters (pheasant? boar?) hereabouts. He was very kind, and we shook hands before I trotted on with a "...giorno!"


I saw some decoratively in Richmond, but this probably is the first time I noticed bamboo growing along my running path.


Here's the river. It is nice and clear. I wonder if it contains trout? I should have asked the game warden (were my Italian sufficient).


From more or less the same spot, this is the view up toward Carlo's house (north) from the river. I heard pheasants and saw, of all things, a magpie. I have several of those in my yard in Montana.


While I shuffled along the trail, Carlo got a haircut, bought some crusty Tuscan bread and the newspapers. I had the bread and some fresh (truly) olive oil in the warm sun on his back porch. I sat next to the pool for a while, but had to watch it (sun burn!). What a day!

3; 3; 3; 192.5

(To anyone mystified by the numbers at the end of these posts: they are mileage, by day; week; month; and year. This was the first run of the week and the month; thus all the 3s.)
Posted by Mose, 7:57 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]