Running on ...

HOME OF THE 'TALL MAN'... (And you can see the blog pictures below in much greater detail simply by clicking on them)

Thursday, April 13, 2017

The boys are back


Pretty sure this is a set of grizzly bear tracks, right on my usual river route. There were lots of elk tracks around, though I saw no elk today. Sandhill cranes were making lots of noise.

These are pretty classic griz tracks, except that the claw marks off the end of the toes weren't visible. I judge that these were no more than three days old. Several clues as to the tracks' source and timing: First I ran there Saturday and they weren't there. Second, the snow/rain that made the trail muddy fell mostly on Sunday. I don't think these tracks were made through snow, but they were old enough that they weren't perfectly crisp with little crumbs of rock and mud around them. I saw a few others on the return trip that showed little gumbo'd holes where the claw marks would be, so I'm pretty sure about what they are. Also, they were very big — almost as long as my feet/tracks.

Anyway, here's a separate set that was about 10 feet from the other ones.



They pyramidal peak at left is the one I photographed by itself on Saturday and, in the blog, mistakenly identified as Stonewall. Stonewall is the one to the right of the pyramid.

5; 9.5; 47.5; 116
Posted by Mose, 10:43 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment |

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]